+100%-

Physical Education

"The young people in our classroom are infinitely more significant than the subjects we teach." ~ Meladee Mcarty

Key Stage 2

Information

Year 4, 5 and 6

The Primary students gain expertise in skills and techniques about specific sports, selecting and applying skills, tactics and compositional ideas and learning how to apply them in different activities. They are learning how to develop and use their knowledge of the principles behind the strategies, tactics and ideas to improve their effectiveness. They are also encouraged to develop their understanding of Healthy Active Lifestyle and why physical activity is good for their health and well-being. An extensive range of after school sport is offered to help develop students’ skills and confidence in a more competitive environment.

The students have two lessons a week. Indoor lessons are performed in mixed age classes and consist of a mixture of activities including swimming, fitness, badminton, basketball, boxing and trampoline.

Outdoor lessons are single sex (boys) and include traditional sports such as football, cricket, rounders, rugby and athletics.

Key Stage 3

Year 7, 8 and 9

The main focus during Years 7, 8 and 9 is on learning and developing specific sports, continuing to evaluate and improve their performance by identifying what makes a performance effective. They will also gain knowledge and understanding of fitness and health by exploring how exercise affects the body in the short term. They will also learn why wearing appropriate clothing and being hygienic is good for their health and safety. Students are encouraged to choose and use skills effectively for particular games. They will improve their knowledge and understanding to be confident and safe in the spaces used to play and to be more aware of actions taking place around them.

Activities will include basketball, football, badminton, trampoline, swimming, leadership, fitness, boxing, athletics and cricket. An extensive range of after-school sport is also offered.

Level 1 (Introductory / Award in Music Technology)

Information

There are two key parts to the Physical Education Programme offered to students in Years 10 and 11.

  1. All students will have the option to study PE and Sport at GCSE level.
  2. Students that do not take GCSE PE as an option will continue to have a minimum two PE lessons as part of their fitness and health development.

GCSE PE

The aim of this course is to develop an understanding of opportunities and pathways for participation in physical activity, and more generally the benefits of maintaining a balanced active and healthy lifestyle. The course is divided into one theory unit which is worth 40% of the total marks and is assessed by written exam in Year 11. The other 60% of the course consists of practical performance as a participant, official or coach in two activities, the completion of a written personal exercise programme coursework task and a verbally assessed analysis of the performance task.

 

Examination Board

GCSE – AQA (Short Course)

 

% Components

60% – Practical
40% – Theory

 

Additional Information

The following are useful textbooks for this course:

AQA Physical Education (Second Edition) Student Book (Nelson Thornes 2013) ISBN 978-1-4085-2230-1

My revision motes – AQA GCSE PE, Hodder Education (Kirk Bizley 2014) ISBN 978-1-4718-0651-3
Please note that the Internet is a resource widely used within all units.

Teaching Accommodation

At the present time we have the following facilities available:

 

INDOOR

Hanwell Community Centre (On Hire)

Sports Hall                x 1 Indoor Football court

Sports Hall                X 1 Indoor Basketball court

Sports Hall             X 4 Indoor Badminton court

 

Westway Sports & Fitness (On Hire)

Indoor Wall Climbing

3G Football Pitch

 

Hendon Leisure Centre (On Hire)

Sports Hall           x1 Trampoline / Gymnastics

 

Gurnell Leisure Centre (On Hire)

Swimming pool

Fitness hall

 

OUTDOOR

PLAYGROUND – Well maintained for:

  •  Fitness
  •  Table tennis
  •  Boxing

 

Westway Sports & Fitness (On Hire)

3G Astro                 x1 Football Pitch

 

Perivale Park Athletics Track (On Hire)

All Weather track and field stadium         Athletics & Games

WHY WE DO IT

We are committed to raising the achievements and aspirations of children and young people
so they can play an effective and unique part in society

**All student photos are solely for the use of Insights School with the consent of the parents.**